Thursday Thirteen ~ My Favorite Quotes from The Goodbye Girl. I’ve loved this movie since I was a kid, mostly because my mom insisted on watching it over and over again. I think she had a thing for Richard Dreyfuss. Shrug. He had panache.
When I get down or when I get bogged on a story, I like to watch this movie. It’s inspiration and well, it’s a riot at times. Come see what I mean!
13. Elliot Garfield: I just met Lucy.
Paula McFadden: What did you tell her?
12. Elliot Garfield: I think you're dynamite, you know that? I love listening to you talk. I hate living with you but your conversation is
11. Paula McFadden: I don't like it and I don't think I like you.
Elliot Garfield: Because I'm an actor?
Paula McFadden: Coupled with your personality.
Elliot Garfield: Well, that's probably why we were thrown together. One of God's little jests. Now if you will move your shapely little fanny out of my room I will unpack and dry my beard. Miss McFadden, you forgt to say goodnight.
10. Paula McFadden: Is that it? Is that the last chorus?
Paula McFadden: Is this going to be a regular routine? I mean, guitars at night. Humming in the morning. I've been in musicals that didn't have this much music.
9. Elliot Garfield: Don't hang up. Please, don't hang up. I don't have any more change, I'm soaked to the bone, Miss McFadden and I have a very low threshold for disease. Look, I don't know what Tony told you, but he's got my money, I got a lease, and you got the apartment. Now, one of us got screwed. Uh, let me rephrase that. We need to talk this out, and I am in no condition, financial or health-wise, to look for a hotel in the pouring rain. I mean, if there's any such thing as the 78th-street flu, I think I've got it.
8. Paula McFadden: I thought you said you were decent.
Elliot Garfield: I am decent. I also happen to be naked.
7. Paula McFadden: You were never four-and-a-half, you were born 26.
6. Paula McFadden: What happened to your eye?
Elliot Garfield: I used it to stop a fist from going through my face.
5. Lucy McFadden: How's the play going?
Elliot Garfield: Shh. One sick person at a time.
4. Lucy McFadden: [watching Elliot’s performance as a gay Richard III] Looks like the guy at the beauty parlor.
3. Elliott Garfield: [reading a review of his performance as Richard III] "It never occurred to us that William Shakespeare wrote the 'Wizard of Oz'. However, Elliot Garfield makes a splendid Wicked Witch of the North." Tacky. Tacky. Well, if they're gonna kill me, let 'em kill me with panache.
2. Lucy McFadden: Congratulations
Elliot Garfield: For What?
Lucy McFadden: I didn't know what else to say.
1. Paula McFadden: Her, out! They have motels for that sort of activity. I have an impressionable 10 year old daughter in there and this is not one of the impressions I want her picking up. So you get that "rising young actress" the hell out of there.
Elliot Garfield: Out of where? Out of my rented apartment that you are staying in out of the goodness of my heart? I will bring home anyone or anthing that I choose, including a one-eyed Episcopalian kangaroo if that happens to be my kinky inclination. As for what is going on in there we're rehearsing Act 1, Scene 4 from Richard the Third. I happen to have a cretin from Mars directing this play and I need all the help I can get. However, if I choose to attempt to have carnal knowledge of that gorgeous bod that'll be her option, my problem and none of your business! And just for the record what do you think little Lucy's impression of what was going on in Mama's bedroom with Tony "Love 'em & leave 'em" DeForrest, huh? Hey Mac! Why don't you turn out some of these lights? We're running up a heck of a bill.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!