Music is an essential part of my writing. It inspires and drives me in equal parts. A song or a melody can easily instigate a scene or a moment of dialogue between characters. It helps me set the mood and become lost in my world.
Though I’m a big metal music lover, when it comes to writing with music, anything goes as long as it appeals to the story.
My last two novels, Alpha’s Alpha (Moon Point 2) and The Beauty of Forever have been no exception. Below is a list of a few of the songs which helped bring both these stories to life and how they influenced certain parts or characters in the book.
- Animals by Maroon 5 ~ Lee and Alkaline met and kissed for the first time when this song was playing in the background.
- Cold by Maroon 5 ~ When the men decided to walk away from each other, this is the song I kept replaying.
- It was always you by Maroon 5 ~ In what part of the story do you think I played this song?
The Beauty of Forever
- The Broken Ones by Lord of the Lost ~ This is Christopher’s song. Somehow, whenever I immersed myself in his thoughts this song played in the background. We are not the heroes, my friend. We are the broken ones. Through damnation we run.
- My Better Me ~ Those moments of self-doubt. Is their relationship worth it? Are they enough for each other?
- Lighthouse ~ Wake up. Wake up. This song inspired the moment things began to change between Christopher and Samantha.
As you can see by the examples above, sometimes I become a bit one-track-minded and stick to only one musician per novel. Other times, it all becomes a mix, with anything from epic music soundtracks (those are great for fight scenes, like in the Alpha Protector series), classical music (an inspiration for Break Me, my dark romance set in the world of ballet), pop, rock, EBM…
How important is music for you? Do you like to listen to something while reading? Let me know in the comments!
Lee never thought he’d find his mate at a club, but even less so, did he expect him to be, Alkaline, the leader of the mafia organization known as the Claws. If the lion shifter were not an alpha, things might be easier, but as it is, his mate is bent on keeping them apart. Not that it matters to Lee, he’ll hunt him down and make him his.
Alkaline doesn’t do sweet. Nor vulnerable. Nor submissive. So when his lion decides that his soulmate is an alpha puma, he refuses to accept it. After all, whoever heard of two alphas mating? However, resisting Lee is harder than he ever imagined.
With two men battling for dominance, who will end up on top? And will their romance survive the match?
Once dead, always dead.
Christopher Beaufort works in what could easily be the most cheerful place on earth, Santa’s Christmas Realm, but as a vampire, he is nothing more than a shadow among the living.
Worn out by the demands of his job as Chief Toy Officer, Santa assigns a human woman to help him, Samantha Kraus. Tantalized by the fiery red-head, Christopher makes it his business to seduce her, but as he does, something within him begins to stir.
Life is a gift in which every moment counts.
When Samantha Kraus accepted the job of assistant manager at Santa’s, she expected elves, fairies and maybe some shifters, but definitely not vampires, and least of all did she imagine her boss would be one of them or that she’d be attracted to him.
Though she tries to remain professional, Samantha finds herself falling for Christopher. But, can a vampire’s heart ever beat again?
COMING DECEMBER 5th 2017